My father and I have a strange relationship. Do not get me wrong, I love my father. The thing is we had many fall outs throughout my almost 23 years on this Earth. Growing up you always so your father as a superhero. Nobody could stop him if you asked me. But I did see the rougher sides of him while my mother and him were married. As I got older I began to catch on to certain things that I did not like about how the situation with him and my mother were. I also started listening to my older siblings as well about how they grew up. My father caught on to this and we begin to argue often and not talk for months at a time. He knew I thought a lot about everything just like he did. But when I look back, I had to tell myself the things were petty and he was very helpful.
I believe my father so something in me that he wish could have happened for him. He had a scholarship to attend Kentucky but turned it down when my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer to help her out. Two of my older siblings dropped out of high school and the third was pregnant when she graduated and did not want to go to college. I was next, and he saw something in many that he wanted to be manifested. My father was very instrumental in my education. He had me thinking critically at a young age, challenging me with questions and pressuring me to get better. I was almost competitive in some sense. But all that did was make me want to receive an education and do better for my entire family, including him.
So after all we have been through, I have to look back and say that the superhero may have just knew that I was the one to help save us. I have to say Thanks for the Help Pops. I know plenty of friends who never had their parents care or help. I had two and I appreciate that.
Thoughtful reflection on Pops. HOpe you get a chance to share your experience with Pops with the MAF-C program.
ReplyDelete