On March 12, I had the opportunity to Attend Engaging Fathers...Investing in Families, an event that was put on by the Memphis Area Fatherhood Coalition (MAF-C). The event including to prominent psychologist on black fatherhood and families, Dr. Joe White and Dr. Wade Nobles. I have to say that they program was very thought provoking while touching on different areas.
There were workshops for first-time fathers, non-custodial fathers, and engaged fathers. Since I am not a father at this time, I decided to attend the non-custodial father since that was the same position my father was in. It was a very good conversation about the rights of non-custodial fathers and a great speech about how fathers who are incarcerated can still be involved in their children's lives. It made me realize how so many children also have aggression towards their fathers because of their mothers.
What I enjoyed the most was the barbershop talks. This were two portions of the event were men would get together on stage on bring up questions about parenthood, fatherhood, and manhood. Members of the crowd who had questions could come into the barbershop and getting a haircut while bringing their questions to the "old heads". What question that came up was can there be fatherhood without manhood? I was strange because many do not know how to answer that question. Some answered the question as if they were men so thats it, but did not think of the mentality it takes to be a man or a father.
I have to say this was an important event because to many black men, the barbershop is your first college in a sense. It is the place where you actually start putting critical thinking skills to use. You are at the barbershop starting at a young age all the way to adulthood. You learn and take what you learn and hopefully use it in your life. It is how many blacks learn in the community.
I love the concept of the barbershop! Years ago when I first learned about qualitative research I was taught that if you wanted to really find out what was going on in a community go to the barbershop or beauty shop! This is the first time we have ever talked, in LEAD 7100, about a barbershop being a site for learning. I am so excited to hear the details about your community project.
ReplyDeleteBarbara