Monday, March 28, 2011
Make Me Change
I believe as Americans we are spoiled. We expect everything to go our way and people to have things ready for us. We had a discussion in one of my classes about how when we go to other countries we expect for them to have a menu in English for us. So why is it we make it so difficult on non-English speaking people or people who learned Englis as a second language. We do not want to help accomodate them at all. We feel as though they should assilimilate as soon as they make the land. This is not to say that they should not try and learn the language, but I do feel as though we do not try and help them through the process. This is a land where people came to have freedom but I feel as though we are forcing people to lose sense of there heritage in some ways. I may be exteme with these statements but we have to realize that we have realize that we assume that we are dominant which we should change. This was just a small rant that I believe could be powerful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fletcher, your blog entries for the month of March indirectly addressed the topics in class. You could strengthen your "analytical" ability by making more direct connections to the readings. For example, select an idea from the reading, perhaps a quote, and show how it connects to your own life.
ReplyDeleteThat said, I do appreciate your thoughtful reflections on the important issues we have addressed such as consumerism and the English language.
Barbara